Pakistan Military Rejects Us Allegations
Rawalpindi—Pakistan’s military leadership on Sunday unanimously rejected
the allegations leveled against Pakistani security institutions by the
The six hour long emergency Corps Commanders
meeting chaired by Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani
concluded in Rawalpindi on Sunday. Sources said no formal declaration of
the meeting will be issued.
Chairman joint chiefs of staff
committee (CJCSC) General Khalid Shamim Wynne expressed concern over the
recent statements made by the US, and said that Pak-US relations need
to be improved.
Sources said the military top brass decided that
every decision is to be taken in Pakistan’s interest and that attacks
from Afghanistan on the Pak-Afghan border will not be tolerated in the
An emergency meeting of Corps Commanders was called by
General Kayani in the wake of the prevailing security situation and
tension in relations with the United States.
An Inter Services
Public Relations (ISPR) statement said the meeting was being chaired by
Kayani. Issues regarding national security are on top of the agenda.
All corps commanders and principle staff officers attended the meeting.
According to sources, recent allegations leveled by US military chief
Mike Mullen that Pakistan has links with the Haqqani network will also
The Pakistan Army has denied accusations by senior
US officials that Pakistan’s intelligence service supports the Haqqani
network, saying it is based in Afghanistan.
However, spokesman for the ISPR Major General Athar Abbas did acknowledge that the ISI had contacts with the Haqqanis.
He told CNN that any intelligence agency prefers keeping contacts with
opposition groups and terrorist organizations for some sort of positive
He stressed that this does not mean the ISI supports or endorses the organization.
Abbas also added that Pakistan is not the only country which maintains contacts with the Haqqanis.
He also expressed his shock at Mullen’s assertion that Pakistan was
complicit in recent attacks against the US Embassy in Kabul.
In an earlier statement, Kayani termed the comments by Mullen as ‘unfortunate’, and ‘not based on facts’.
In the first official reaction to the slew of public statements made by
various levels of the US administration against the ISI and suspected
links between the Haqqani network and the Pakistan establishment, Kayani
said that he had held a constructive meeting with Admiral Mullen in
Spain last week.
He termed the statements following that meeting as very disturbing.
On the question of contacts with Haqqani network, Kayani said that
Admiral Mullen knows well which countries are in contact with the
Haqqanis. Singling out Pakistan as the chief protagonist is neither fair
nor productive, he said.