27 kills in Karachi just in two days. PML-Q is desiring for army operation
KARACHI: The death toll in targeted killings and armed attacks in the city has risen to 27 in two days, DawnNews reported.
However, Karachi Capital City Police Officer (CCPO) Fayyaz Leghari told Reuters “at least 17 people died in the past three days by firing by unknown gunmen in several parts of Karachi.”
Unknown assailants gunned down former Naib Nazim of SITE Town, Syed Badshah Khan, in Karachi’s Orangi Town area on Saturday.
Syed Badshah Khan was associated with the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM).
Moreover, the Pakistan Muslim League – Quaid (PML-Q) submitted adjournment motions in the National Assembly and the Senate regarding the killings.
Saying that the government had failed to protect its citizens, the PML-Q suggested that a military operation was needed to restore peace in Karachi.
Meanwhile, Leghari said police had arrested six people suspected of being involved in the current wave of violence.
Earlier, DawnNews reported that four suspects had been arrested in this regard.
Two of the suspects were arrested by New Town Police. The remaining two suspects were arrested by Orangi Town police.
The death toll in the current wave of targeted killings, starting Monday, has risen to 39. Six people were killed in different incidents of firing on Monday. Moreover, seven people were gunned down on Tuesday and another seven on Wednesday.
The victims of the current killings include a journalist and political activists.
Karachi has a long history of ethnic, religious and sectarian violence. But hundreds of targeted killings last year have raised concerns that violence could escalate and create a new crisis for the government in Islamabad.